Saturday, August 15, 2015

Icing on the Cake- a dresser makeover

I am so excited!  I am part of the Fab Furniture Flippin' Contest for the month of August.  This dresser I am about to share with you is my entry.  What a fun project.  I just love dressing up a plain piece of furniture, and this dresser couldn't have been any more plain!

The sponsor of this contest was D Lawless Hardware.  I was given product for this contest by the sponsor, but all views and opinions are mine.  
Before working on this project, I had a chance to browse their website and order some "icing" or goodies or fun details if you will.  They have an abundance of things to dress up your pieces including hardware, appliques, legs, etc. 


I entered this contest because one of my favorite things to do is make things fancy!  I had to order my "icing" a while back then I started to panic because I couldn't find anything to work on.

Boy was I starting to worry!

Finally, I found this dresser at goodwill.  I had my work cut out for me to make all of  my D Lawless Hardware accessories work, but they made such a difference!

See what I mean about this being a plain dresser?  It doesn't get much more plain than that!

Here are the appliques I ordered.  Pricing was very good and their selection was better than the local hardware stores.

Here is a picture of the bottom and a piece I used on the dresser.
Here are some legs I took off a broken wing back recliner.  Don't you just love the claw feet?  D Lawless also carries legs, but I met my budget with the things I ordered, so I used what I had on hand.

I had to build a frame on the bottom of the dresser as well as cut of a little bit from the bottom.  This allowed me to attach the legs to a sturdy surface.
I cut the extra wood from the feet and drilled pocket holes to attach them to the newly built base.


I cut some decorative edges on the board I mentioned above.  This is where I attached the large applique.

I cut a new top from a plain cabinet door I had so these appliques would fit.  They are deeper than the overhang on the original top.  Some wood glue and clamping is all they needed to stay in place.

Here is a photo of the legs from the bottom and also how it looks with all the changes.

After some beautiful white paint and clear wax, I added the hardware.




Let's see a side by side, shall we?




Two of the hosts for this contest also did amazing pieces.
To view, visit Evey's Creations
and
To see their projects as well as all of the other contestants.  There's sure to be something to inspire you.

Interested bloggers should contact
or
repurposed and upcycledFRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE
 
H&GT BUTTON FALL
Photobucket2013 Shab Friday logo

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing difference! Beautiful job! Would love it if you shared it on our "furniture only" blog party Friday's Furniture Fix which is open until Monday night. http://www.patinaparadise.com/2015/08/fridays-furniture-fix-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. never woulda guessed that to be the same dresser! Awesome! Pinning to the Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday highlights board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I love everything you put into this.
    Gal after my own heart.
    So clever to use those feet!
    Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A girl after my own heart, using salvaged bits and pieces for a revamp! Love this project from boring and blah to va va voom, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you rocked this dresser makeover! Hardly recognize it's the same dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful makeover! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete