Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Adding doors to a bookcase

I found this bookcase or cabinet at a garage sale this past week.  I had been looking for something about this size for a while.

You see, I had these really cool long narrow windows.  I could build a cabinet for them, but I never got around to it.  This cabinet was just what I needed to finally give these windows new life.



It did come with 3 shelves, they just aren't in it right now as I prepare to get started.
These are the windows I was telling you about.  Very dirty here, but they are going to make fantastic cabinet doors.
Wouldn't you agree?


After laying the cabinet on its back, I laid the windows on it.  This was the easiest way for me to work on this by myself.  You can see that there is a gap in the middle and they are a little too long.

I cut off some of the window frame just along the bottom edge.  I also added a cut piece to the center to fill in the gap.  Now I marked them for hinges, added them and stood it up.


I like the chippy look of the old windows so I left them in their original state.  I added some grey paint for distressing on the cabinet itself.  After adding some knobs to the doors, It is all finished.
Weekly Blog Link Party- Treasure Hunt Thursday- From My Front Porch To YoursShabbilicious Friday - logo 400

Embracing Change
Rooted In Thyme Crafts a la mode
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. It looks great, a match made in heaven! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those windows are fabulous. What a great way to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Sara! Don't you love it when it all comes together like this?

    gail

    ReplyDelete