Sunday, May 10, 2015

Inspired by Mom- open cabinet

I have been invited to participate in "The Fab Furniture Flipping Contest" this month.  The theme is Inspired by Mom.  


At first I had no idea what I was going to do, but after looking at this cabinet I just picked up, I knew.

My mom loves her collections.  She has a few different ones from crystal, glass salt and pepper shakers, candle snuffers and antique glass figures.  What better way to honor her than to make a piece to display collections!


This cabinet is just a shell here.  No bottom, no shelves, but it has potential.  Wouldn't you say?  I found some antique legs that were mostly broken at the top.  By using them I salvage something that might otherwise be thrown away.
In this photo you can better see the damage to the top of the legs.  The bottoms were fine and that is what I am using.

I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood for the base, then traced each leg on the corners.  They were numbered to be sure they fit correctly.  By tracing them I can be sure I drill in the center of each one.

Using a screw and wood glue, I attached the legs.

Here is the base all ready to be attached.
I nailed the base on.  Here is what it looks like attached to the cabinet.


I added shelves by cutting them to fit.  The cabinet already had supports for the shelves.

Here is a side view.
Now the edges of the plywood aren't pretty and they don't paint well.  I picked up this decorative metal trim from Michael's and added it to all the sides of the shelves.

Using my nail/staple gun they were really easy to attach.

Here we are before painting.
Here is the cabinet painted white.  This color is similar to CeCe Caldwell's simply white.  Ce Ce Caldwell's is kind enough to be sponsoring this contest.  I was not able to use their paint in this project since I don't have any retailers near me.
Clear wax was used to seal this piece.

The back is getting lined with this faux tin tile wallpaper. 

It's super easy to use.  Just cut to size and spray the back with water.  Then you stick it on and smooth out the wrinkles.


 Here is the cabinet all finished and decorated.


I think the decorative trim adds a nice touch.

This cabinet is perfect for displaying collections just like my mom has.

Two of the hosts also posted projects to kick of this contest.  To see them visit Evey here and Stacy here.

Interested bloggers should contact Stacy- info@anastasiavintage.com
to enter future contests.


Featured at:
Photobucket


Sharing with:





mad-skills-party_thumb.jpg
wow-me_thumb1_thumb1repurposed and upcycled
 Idea Box Link Party
PhotobucketIvy and Elephants
Treasure Hunt ThursdayShabbilicious Friday - logo 400
Embracing Change FRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE
Rooted In ThymeThe Shabby Nest
PhotobucketPhotobucket

11 comments:

  1. Wow! This is so seriously cute...what an amazing flip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! You did a great job on this. Found you at Kammy's Korner Trash 2 Treasure link up party.
    I would love for you to link this up to my party at Idea Box on Thursday!!

    http://christmanscreations.com/2015/05/07/idea-box-link-party-9/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely. I just love that faux tin tile wallpaper. It adds a fun pop..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What vision you had on this piece! It turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, thank you for linking up to Idea Box link party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning project! Love all the creativity you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really cute! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an amazing transformation! I love the new look of your cabinet, catching you Sara!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute!
    I love this repurposed cabinet... the whole thing was likely to be trashed but you saved it... nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! You have great vision! I would have walked right by those chewed up legs but your thrifty talent gave them new life. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete