Monday, March 2, 2015

Fireplace screen DIY

Some of you may have seen my post about things you can make with plain cabinet doors.  Today I am going to share a new project with more of those cabinet doors.  If you have ideas, I'd love to hear them.  I still have more!



Here are the 3 doors I will be using for this project.  

I took off all the hinges that were still on them.  I sketched out a design to be cut so they would have a little more sass.  



Here is what they look like all cut.

I added raised stencils along the top and bottom of each door.  You can use glacage, plaster of paris, or spackle, which is what I used this time.



Here is what it looked like after the raised stencils were added.  I really like this green and white, but it had to be painted.  I added hinges to connect the doors together.
This is the piece after I painted it with old white.

Here it is after clear and antiquing wax were added.


Definitely more shabby chic, but I think I still miss the green.  What do you think?

Obviously this is just for decoration.  It's made of wood and wouldn't be a good choice to actually use in front of a burning fire.


Featured at:
Photobucket



Sharing with:



Photobucket
Treasure Hunt Thursday- From My Front Porch To YoursEmbracing Change
Savvy Southern StylePhotobucket

4 comments:

  1. Sara, I was wondering how well your spackling holds up on furniture after a period of time. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On something like this that really doesn't get moved around or used often, it's fine. I've not used it on something that really gets a lot of use.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete