Sunday, March 22, 2015

Chair fronts

We see a lot of ideas on what you can do with a chair back- build benches, use as towel racks, turn into a shelf...but what about the other half of the chair?  What about the front?

I built 2 benches for a friend-


I used the 4 chair backs to create the ends of the benches.  That leaves me with the front half of the chair.  I couldn't just throw them away.  These weren't spindles I could repurpose either, so I had to come up with a different idea.

Here you can see what the front half of these chairs looked like.

I needed to shave off a little on the top in order for there not to be a sharp point where the chairs met.  I used metal brackets on the inside and top.


 I added a seat and a ruffled cover sewn together using drop cloth fabric.  It makes a very cute bench.

Wait, there's one more...

This one is shorter so it can be used as a vanity seat if need be.


Which is your favorite?




My Show and Share Party
mad skills partyPhotobucketwow-me_thumb1_thumb1Nieuwe VIP buttong

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! How did you put the top on to make the bench seat? The two chairs together are definitely wowed and yet when you've put the top on it's sitting flat. So come on, let us in on your magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I simply used a board cut to size and attached it like you would a chair seat.

      Delete
  2. Duh! I just had another look at the picture! All I could think of with your answer is the sides are still wowed. But you actually attached the wood to what would have been the back of the chair seat. I don't know......some days my brains are mushier than others. Thanks for getting back to me.
    Hope your springtime comes soon!

    ReplyDelete