Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Sharpie Disaster to Black Beauty

This dresser has seen better days.  I was joking with my husband that people should be fined for treating good furniture like this...

 Right?  Who does this to a solid wood dresser?
It took 2 scrub downs to get it clean.  The sharpie wasn't coming off and I didn't worry about that.


The bones are solid.  There were a couple of repairs, like tightening tracts and sanding down drawers.
I painted it in graphite.  This will hide the sharpie and bring out the nice lines in the curved drawers and legs.

I used a shimmer cream to create a damask pattern.  It just so happens that it looks gold so I added some antique gold and black pulls.

 After sanding the drawers, I used wax paper and rubbed it on all the spots that touch the inside of the dresser.  This helps them to slide smoothly.

Much better, I'd say!
PhotobucketH&GT BUTTON FALLMoonlight and Mason Jars Link PartyIvy and ElephantsVintage Inspiration Party
Embracing Change

6 comments:

  1. Great save!... only if I could paint my kids bedroom walls like this, there were huge spongebob squarepants characters drawn all over them with sharpie when we moved in. About 6 coats of primer under pink then primed again and repainted to white, those darn lines are still peeping through, ugg... hate those sharpies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you were able to save the dresser it is such a pretty shape. I love to repaint thing but I am terrible about stripping off the old paint. That's why I usually stick to sewing projects. :-)

    Cindy @ Upcycled Design Lab

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, quite the transformation! I agree, how can anyone treat a beautiful piece of furniture like that. Thank goodness you saved it from being destined to the landfill.
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful transformation! It has such good bones. I'd love to find a good piece like that and redo it. You saved & restored something that most people would throw away. :)

    Nicole @ Taylor-Hill.net

    ReplyDelete