Tuesday, January 20, 2015

When you can't find it, make it!

I have been wanting something to hang above my television for a while.  It needed to be quite long and have a shabby look to it.  In all honesty I wanted some architectural salvage, but wasn't finding anything, at least not in the budget.

Here is a piece of a bed I was given.  It is a really neat piece with curves in all the right places.

After taking all the bed hardware off the back, I flipped it over and drew a design with chalk.

After I was satisfied with my design, I grabbed my glacage.  Love this stuff.  

Using a ziploc like a piping bag, I followed my design (for the most part).  After this you need to let it dry before you can do anything else.  Here is where it is a good idea to have another project occupy your time.  I waited about 24 hours to do the next step.

I painted the hole thing with a creamy white,  After the paint was dry, I distressed it and waxed it with clear and dark wax to bring out the detail.


Here is the finished piece.  


You can see why I needed something up there.  It isn't empty anymore!
PhotobucketH&GT BUTTON FALL
Dolen Diaries
Embracing Change
Rooted In ThymePhotobucketThe Shabby NestFRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE2013 Shab Friday logo
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Great job working with what you had and turning it into something fabulous. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely adornment, Sara! Outstanding job! I've never seen glac age before. What exactly is it? I love the panels on either side of the tv. Did you make them as well? They are lovely! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glacage is an acrylic, water-based, thick texturing cream that mimics the look and feel of intricately carved wood. Create beautiful textured finishes over wood, cabinetry, and previously painted furniture.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous. Just the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice idea!! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete