Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Turning a hutch into a buffet

This hutch was a curbside find.  Solid wood.  Probably from a desk.  Lets see how you can add legs and a bottom to create a nice open buffet or bookcase.

Here is the piece on its side.  It has no bottom, and before I took this photo, one of the sides was longer than the other.  My first step was to cut off that extra wood on the side to it would be even.
I found a piece to create a bottom and cut that to size.

I attached the bottom with screws.
Some mirror harps were attached with screws and wood glue.


The back legs are just a small block.

Here is a better look at the mirror harp- they came from a broken floor mirror, so I gave them new life.


I painted it all white except for the back.
The back got a nice coat of charcoal grey.


It looks great all finished.  What would you use it for?

H&GT BUTTON FALLEmbracing Change
Photobucket2013 Shab Friday logoPhotobucket  Crafts a la mode

3 comments:

  1. Clever! Would probably end up with books on it at my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out great! Thanks for linking up with Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PINNED. Thanks for sharing your new "buffet"!! Linda @ Crafts a la Mode

    ReplyDelete