Monday, December 1, 2014

Sewing table makeover

I was given this sewing table.  It sat for a few months while I finished up the many other things that had deadlines.  You know how it goes!  Well, I finally got around to working on it.  Follow along and see the transformation.
Here is the before.  It has a really neat shape.  It's not like any other sewing table I've seen before.

Here is a close up of the inside.  I removed the box in the upper left and the small pieces on the bottom shelf.

I decided to go bold on this one.  My husband says I'm stuck in a white rut.  Hey!  I like white!
After the paint was finished, I clear and dark waxed it.  The top was next on the list.  I would have loved to do a yardstick top, but since I didn't have enough of those, I used some small boards instead,

I cut them all to the approximate length first.  Then, by tracing the table shape from underneath, I cut the curve on each one.  After nailing them in place, I decided they needed a little support in the middle where the hole was.  I flipped it upside down and screwed a board in the space.

I used different shades of stain to create the top.





It's a unique piece for sure!

10308754_10203781373763465_7536899127074402936_n


PhotobucketPhotobucket

8 comments:

  1. Great job! I have a dresser with no top and I like what you did to this piece. May give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on the sewing table makeover, it turned out really nice. I love the color, I want to try turquoise on something but I'm scare to go bold. All my furniture is Browns, and neutral colors, and the pieces I've painted are in off white color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great table - love the top and the shape of it. It looks great with the blue lower half.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a unique sewing table; I've never seen one like it (and I've seen plenty of sewing cabinets). You've certainly made it pretty and usable again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is actually a Singer Featherweight Sewing Cabinet. Before you painted it, they sell for over 500.00, in the original condition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is what they look like and are very rare...http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/featherweight_sewing_machine_cabinet_number_68.html

    ReplyDelete