Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hollow core door...see what it's become!

After a trying week, I'm back.  This December has been a month I will remember, but won't want to repeat.
I'm getting back into the swing of things.  Today let's talk about doors.  More specifically, hollow core doors.
These doors are usually passed up.  They aren't old, or wood. or anything special, but there still are some things you can do with them.    I happened upon this flat, boring hollow core door and had a few ideas, but am delighted on how it turned out.

Using E6000 I glued a wall mirror onto the door. 
I chose a trim that has this indentation on the back so it would fit over the mirror nice and snug.
I cut the corners at a 45 degree angle.
I used wood glue and some finishing nails to put the trim in place.  I also added a wood applique.  After it was dry, I painted it white.  In order to add the aged look, I painted some grey onto a block of wood and rubbed it on the edges.  It makes it look chippy.

I was really needing a full length mirror in my room.





What would you have done with a hollow core door?

Featured at:
Photobucket


Sharing with


Embracing Change Treasure Hunt Thursday- From My Front Porch To YoursHome-and-Garden-Christmas Holiday Button
Rooted In ThymeShabbilicious-Friday Christmas    My Repurposed LifeThe Shabby Nest

7 comments:

  1. It turned out fabulous! Thanx for sharing at THT. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have several hollow core doors in our 80's-made town home. Unfortunately, as we've replaced the doors, I've thrown out the old ones. :( Never thought of upcycling them like this! I love the distressing around the trim. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you glued the mirror to the door how did you fit the mirror into the grooves on the trim pieces?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyra, the grooves in the trim fit over the mirror edge. They acted as a border but also extra support. Thanks for the question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand now, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I have been dealing with the same doors for years in my home. I am going to do all of them similar to yours. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete