Sunday, November 2, 2014

An old secretary gets a new look

At one of the last estate sales I went to, I found this secretary desk.  At first I looked at it, but walked away.  I came back for it a few minutes later.  It needed some work.  The drawer was in pieces, the top didn't close, and it had this vinyl adhesive inside that needed to be gone.

Here she is.  Lots of potential.
This is a picture of that beautiful green shelf liner.
While I was waiting for the drawer to finish gluing, I peeled of the ugly green and sanded off all the residue.  

I found this chair I had and thought it would make a great match.
I decided to paint it in a few different colors with clear and dark wax. 


This is the finish I came up with.  I added a back and some new pulls.
I decided the inside needed a little something.  I stenciled it with 2 of the colors I used to paint it.


Here is the chair with the desk.





 What do you think?



madskillsparty.jpg
Vintage Inspiration PartyWednesday Linky Party
Photobucket
Family Home and Life

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this! It is gorgeous! I have a very similar old desk sitting in my garage just waiting for me to be inspired. Now I am! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we found a drop front secretary, that had a drawer falling off when purchased, that we repurposed into a wine cabinet. check it out at www.facebook.com/TakeTwoCreations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great transformation! Hardly recognizable. If you're looking for another place to share your projects, I would love to have you stop by Etcetorize and join our Make it Monday party. It's open now & we love thrifty makeovers :)

    ReplyDelete