Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A great shelving unit made from a gun safe

As the garage sales came to an end this season, I ran across 1 more and found this gun safe.  

 It still had the glass doors, and was in really good shape.  What great bones for a shelving unit.  I painted the outside white. 
After taking out the gun rack, I began to make some shelves.  Using some quarter round I created ledges for the shelves to sit on.  The shelves were made from some scrap wood I had lying around.

To cover the bottom of the gun safe where the butt end of the guns fit in, I used a very thin piece of plywood.  I nailed it in and painted the interior grey.
 Some distressing and waxing finished the piece up.  
Here you can see the drawer and its little key.

Where would this piece fit for you?  Would you use it for books, nick knacks, or bathroom storage?

Would you use it with glass doors or leave them off as I have?
Happy Thanksgiving!





Photobucket
The DIY Dreamermad-skills-party.jpg
Ivy and Elephants
Treasure Hunt Thursday

1 comment:

  1. I would use it to store my antique pink dishes. you did a great job on this one

    ReplyDelete