Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Transform a corner cabinet by adding a door

This freebie came to be from a friend.  It just wasn't working for her so she decided to give it to me to see what I can do with it.  Well, Stephanie, I hope you are not disappointed!

Here is this solid oak corner shelving unit.  I gave myself a day or two to decide what I wanted to do with it.

I was lucky enough to get to try out a new to me paint line.  Guess what?  It's made in the USA!  By a Michigan company!!!
How great is that?
Chalk Country Paint can be found here.


I painted the frame with a color called cream of wheat.  A nice cream color.  The coverage was great and it is a self leveling paint so there are no brush strokes.
The inside was painted with another of  their colors called aqua mist.

I decided since it had that great divide that I would build a door for the bottom open section.  I used some scrap trim, scrap plywood and wood glue to create the door.


I wanted it a bit fancier so I dug out a stencil...

And created a design using some spackle.  I usually use glacage, but I wanted to try this.

Once my design was in place I had to let it dry.  Uggh how I dislike waiting.

Once it was dry, I painted it with the cream of wheat color and attached the door.  The whole shelf cabinet got a coat of their wax.  It was a nice creamy wax that went on very smooth.

Here is a close up of the door.

Featured at:
Photobucket
                                       Catch as Catch Can

Sharing with:


PhotobucketHome and Garden ButtonEmbracing Change
Family Home and Life button1.jpg1Photobucket
Ivy and Elephants

6 comments:

  1. what a GREAT idea! And self leveling paint? I've never heard that term before - sounds awesome! :) and YAY for "made in Michigan"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cupboard has turned out great. Bet your friend wants it back now. Bit jealous of your ability to make a door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spackle? That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! And if I had the room/need for it, I'd take it back in a heartbeat :)
    Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job Sara. You know you can enhance the plaster detail but just putting a few drops of aqua mist paint in the wax and let it get caught up around the edges. That is another nice feature of Chalk Country Paints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done! Love it! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete