Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Overhauling a settee

I'm not sure if this is an Eastlake settee or not.  Doing the research to find out- there isn't much out there.  I can tell you it is very old based on how it was put together.  Anyways, it was in a sad state when I got my hands on it.  I put it out there to see if anyone wanted it and to my surprise I had a huge list of people that were interested.  So, this is how the makeover of this settee went:



This is the sad state I found the settee in.  The arm on the right was broke and it desperately needed some reupholstering.  


After tearing off all of the old upholstery, I fixed the arm.  Then I set to work on recreating a back with this jute webbing.


The client wanted purple.  She is creating a gentleman's room in her house.. How cool is that?


This kind of upholstery job is fairly easy since you don't have to hide everything.  It all gets covered with trim.


The purple shows up much brighter in the photo than it does in person.  The trim has been added, the wood polished with vinegar and olive oil and it is ready to go!






Photobucket From My Front Porch To Yours- Treasure Hunt Thursday
The DIY DreamerA Return to Loveliness button
Family Home and Life

7 comments:

  1. Hey I'm stopping by from Kammy's Korner. This is absolutely stunning. It seemed almost to far gone, but it turned into a beautiful rehab piece.

    Sarah @ Backwoods Babies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, gorgeous settee - beautiful upholstery makeover. It caught my eye at the Trash 2 Treasure Tuesdays party!
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Reupholstering scares me :-) You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive. I have a Victorian era settee that is in the line up for a redo. The estimate I have is 800.00 plus the fabric and I know the upholsterer (is that a word?) will earn every cent. Thank you for sharing the details.

    ReplyDelete