Sunday, July 6, 2014

Footboard + coffee table = bench

What do you get when you combine a foot board and coffee table?  A bench of course.  I had a request to create a headboard for someone...a couple of months ago.  She wanted a bench with a full back, no spindles.  What usually happens when you get a specific request like that? You can't find it!  That's what happened to me.  I could not find a headboard and foot board that were full without the spindles.  I decided to improvise.


Here is the foot board just sitting on the coffee table.
I started by cutting the legs off the foot board.


I added some arms that came from a chair I tore apart to salvage some pieces.  The spindles connected to the arms are from a different chair.

Here is a close up of the arm and spindle.  The bench back was attached  by using the kreg jig.


Here is the bench painted and with one coat of the artisian outdoor clear coat.  She decided she didn't like the posts so...


I cut them off.  Here is the completed project.  I'm sure it will look fabulous on her porch!







Boogieboard Cottage10308754_10203781373763465_7536899127074402936_n
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I have some twin headboards I could probably put together to be the back and use a coffee table for the base too. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great! I would never guess this used to be a footboard and coffee table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I'll have to go back to that thrift store where I saw a coffee table and some headboards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara,
    Thank you for sharing this neat looking bench at my Show and Share Party...love the color that you painted it.


    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive transformation! I love up-cycling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the finished bench, so cute!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Quite a bit of creativity going on here. Mary

    ReplyDelete