Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Making of a Faux French Shutter

This is another door re purpose.  These hollow, plain, closet doors were a freebie find.  You never know what you can do with something, until the inspiration hits.


Here are the doors.  Not much to look at.

Vintage French shutters--these will become the base for the pantry doors in the kitchen reno   FleaingFrance
Here is my inspiration photo...of course found on Pinterest.  I love it!


I took the doors apart and got started on one.  I cut all the trim to be similar to how they trimmed out this set.  I found an applique that would fit between the trim.  After all was glued in place, I used old ochre and a grey called primitive.  The whole piece was painted in old ochre then I randomly painted on the primitive.  After the paint dried I put on a coat of clear wax followed by dark wax in the crevices and edges.




I tried it out next to my tv and I think I really like the look.  I will duplicate it and flank the other one on the other side.


Here is a nice closeup of how that dark wax highlights the details.


Featured at:



Family Home and Life



Sharing with:

Monday Funday Link Partymad skills party
Elizabeth Joan Designs10308754_10203781373763465_7536899127074402936_nCome Link Up at...PhotobucketFamily Home and LifeIvy and Elephants

9 comments:

  1. Great job. I actually think yours is much prettier than the inspiration pictures!!

    Happy Monday..
    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely marvelous, Sarah!! Way to use pinterest as an inspiration - and actually follow through! (That's always the tricky part, isn't it? So many projects...so little time...) Well done! Hugs, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow gorgeous! I like your version better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you out-inspired you inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely pinning your shutters! These would be perfect in our master bedroom and I just happened to have a set of these doors in the basement! Thank you so much for sharing! I'm your newest follower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a transformation! I love what you did with an old hollow core bi-fold. Pinning this!
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome upcycle! I really like the appliqué that you found for the middle. One of the best inspiration pieces I've seen.

    Sarah @ Backwoods Babies

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out amazing! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time!

    ReplyDelete