I stepped out of my comfort zone for this project. Whenever I find a piece of furniture that needs new caning, I usually find a different way to fix it. I replace the seat with a board and upholster it or use webbing. In this case, that couldn't be done.
This chair came to me like this. It is a friends and she wanted it to have a back. Her first request was to upholster it. Upon first inspection, I realized it had never been upholstered before. It was cane. This is a very nice antique chair and she wanted it to be like it originally was.
There was a crack on the frame that I had to glue before I could get started.
Now here begins my first caning experience.
After receiving the cane in the mail, I soaked it in the tub in warm water for a little over an hour. This makes the caning pliable so you can get it into that little crack without breaking it.
This was soaked too.
Using a clothes pin I gently pushed the cane into the crack.
Here is what it looked like pushed in. They recommend taking some of the spline and pushing it in to hold the cane in place...I did not do that. I actually worked in small sections since this was such a big piece of cane to replace.
Cut the excess off using a knife. This was the tedious part. There are a lot of pieces of cane. Use glue all then pound the spline into the space to hold the cane in place.
Here is how it looks after being put in place.
I used a small piece of wood to hammer on so it wouldn't leave marks
Cut the ends in 45 degree angles at the corners.
Once it was all finished it looked pretty good.
I found the closest stain I could and stained the cane to try to match the original finish.
It looks so nice.
My thoughts on caning...it's not my favorite makeover project. It's not even that hard, it just takes a lot of time and patience.