Sunday, June 8, 2014

My first time caning

I stepped out of my comfort zone for this project.  Whenever I find a piece of furniture that needs new caning,  I usually find a different way to fix it.  I replace the seat with a board and upholster it or use webbing.  In this case, that couldn't be done.  

This chair came to me like this.  It is a friends and she wanted it to have a back.  Her first request was to upholster it.  Upon first inspection, I realized it had never been upholstered before.  It was cane.  This is a very nice antique chair and she wanted it to be like it originally was.

There was a crack on the frame that I had to glue before I could get started.
Now here begins my first caning experience.
After receiving the cane in the mail, I soaked it in the tub in warm water for a little over an hour.  This makes the caning pliable so you can get it into that little crack without breaking it.

This was soaked too.
Using a clothes pin I gently pushed the cane into the crack.

 Here is what it looked like pushed in.  They recommend taking some of the spline and pushing it in to hold the cane in place...I did not do that.  I actually worked in small sections since this was such a big piece of cane to replace.
Cut the excess off using a knife.  This was the tedious part.  There are a lot of pieces of cane.  Use glue all then pound the spline into the space to hold the cane in place.
 
 Here is how it looks after being put in place.
 I used a small piece of wood to hammer on so it wouldn't leave marks
Cut the ends in 45 degree angles at the corners.

Once it was all finished it looked pretty good.


I found the closest stain I could and stained the cane to try to match the original finish.
It looks so nice.  
My thoughts on caning...it's not my favorite makeover project.  It's not even that hard, it just takes a lot of time and patience.



Three Mango Seeds
SweetSharingMonday
Boogieboard CottageCome Link Up at...Elizabeth Joan Designs
PhotobucketFFF

9 comments:

  1. It looks great! I've always been a bit intimidated by caning too, but it's good to see that it seems quite straightforward. (Visiting from Nifty Thrifty Things.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gives me courage to try to cane the missing round seat of an antique chair (right now I have a heavy plastic plate in the hole with a cushion on top). I thought I'd have to spend hours weaving, but that sheet of canning looks very doable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I learned a lot here today! I was always intimidated by caning-I had no idea it was like replacing a screen door - screen and spline - fiddly but doable with a good dose of patience. Never had any idea about the staining at all and you matched it to the upholstry perfectly the finished piece is stunning! You share some great tips on how to so next time... I will not shy away from that in need of repair caned furniture piece you see for sale from time to time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replacing caning is something I'd like to try someday. Glad to hear it's not that hard. I usually have lots of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out really great! I was just wondering if after staining you put a sealer or just left it only with the stain? I have a chair with caning that I also was going to attempt to stain and was going to put a Varathane seal on it but I then read that you should only do that on one side as it might crack the caning.

    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is brilliant, I thought caning had to be done from scratch, where do I buy the cane from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you get it tight so it doesn't sag.

    ReplyDelete