Thursday, June 5, 2014

Building a conservatory with old windows

I stated at the beginning of the week that I was going to be doing posts about doors.  Well, I guess I lied.  Although the previous 2 posts this week were about doors, this one is about windows.  One of the windows is a door, does that count?
I have admired many conservatories or green houses, if you will.  I finally finished one.  This project started months ago.  I was undecided how to do a base and legs, then I needed to collect some items to add some detail.

Start here with 4 of these windows.

I used some corner brackets to brace them together.

I added the top pieces using a hinge.  Due to the sizes of the windows, the angle wasn't a typical angle for brackets.  These worked nicely.

I also used these to hold the top windows together.
So here it sat in this phase of building.  Since February.  I know, terrible right?  I was stumped.  I had seen people use tables for a base, but this one was already tall.
 I found some claw feet from an old tub recently and decided to use these.  Love the character and the fact that the weather cannot make them fall apart over time.
I attached the feet with some nuts and bolts.  I attached the windows with screws from the  bottom then began decorating.

I used spindles, candelabra, a glass knob, and the piece in the middle at the top is from an old stove.

Cute claw feet.



Such a fun project.   I cannot wait to make another.

Featured at:

DIY Vintage Chic
Sharing with:


2013 Shab Friday logoFRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGEThe Shabby NestTPB Button Large


9 comments:

  1. This is very cute! I love it, great work!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - I have seen square ones built from old windows, but never one like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just toooooo cute and would love to have one however I can't figure out how to put together those things, not good with tools LOL
    Love the chandelier in it also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you plan on putting in it ??

      Delete
    2. You can put potted flowers in it. Other ideas might be statue, fairy garden, birdcage, etc.

      Delete
  4. Congrats! You were featured on Friday’s Five Features over on DIY Vintage Chic. Stop by and grab yourself a button! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2014/06/fridays-five-features-no-44.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea! I will have to start collecting and make some. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this idea. great for market stalls

    ReplyDelete