Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Going for the Gold

It's no surprise Gold is coming back in.  I have done a few pieces in gold for myself.  These nightstands I am about to show you were done in gold for someone else. I know I'm not alone.  First lets start with a scary before photo and I will tell you the story behind these nightstands.

This sad looking pair was found at an estate sale.  If you look closely you can see that extra board on the left one.  I found these in a garage...

 with the backs cut out so they could be nailed together...
to hold up a table saw!
   No joking.  I am kicking myself for not taking a picture of that.  You think of those things in hindsight.  Isn't that the way it works?  This side of the nightstands had a wood looking contact paper.
Under that beautiful paper was this.  Can you tell these used to be part of a vanity?
I cut out the rest of the back of the vanity to make room for these.  They just needed a little trim and fit perfectly in the space.

I filled in some dents and scratches with wood filler.

I used patching tape and wall patch to fill in the large gaps.
 After a good sanding I used Reeves gold acrylic paint.  I have used this on all my gold pieces.
2 coats of gold paint and a coat of wax made these beautiful again.  



Treasure Hunt ThursdaybuttonBeyond The Picket FenceEmbracing Change Rooted In ThymePhotobucket

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful outcome with your hard work. Nice to see them saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful transformation! I do appreicate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat makeover! I love it in gold! Thanks for linking with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete