Sunday, April 13, 2014

Upholstering a wing back chair

In my opinion, a wing back is one of the hardest chairs to upholster.  Lots of pieces, piping, sewing, etc.  In this case I lucked out since I didn't have to sew a cushion, but still had lots of pieces and piping.  Follow along as I make over this wing back.

I love tufting. love the legs. just not so much the fabric.  Plus on this piece, some of the padding has shrunk.
After stripping the old fabric off, I added 2 layers of 1" foam to the seat.  Then, I cut the fabric for the seat and got started.  I used the old buttons but painted them to match to save the step of recovering them.  I have done quite a few chairs and couches, but I have never seen these upholstery buttons before. They push through the fabric then you put on a washer and spread apart the points!  So easy.

 Here is the seat after getting the tufts in.
Next I started on the arms.
These arms are sewn together with the wing part of the chair.  I added 2 layers of batting to the back part of the chair next.
Here you can see the back of the chair where the tufting buttons went through.
I reused the metal piece from the original chair.  First the piping is stapled on, the metal piece goes on top then you add the fabric by pinching the metal clasps closed over the fabric to hold it in place like in the next photo.

Here it is completed.
 Next comes the side of the chair.  You used a cardboard strip to create a clean edge.  You can see that the fabric is upside down over the arm so I can work underneath it.  Simply staple along the cardboard strip then let the fabric fall down.  
The extra fabric on the side comes around to cover the front of the arm.
 Add on the back fabric.  On this one I decided to do nail head trim on the sides to match the front of the chair.
I cut small pieces to cover the front of the arms using nail head trim to hold it in place.

Featured at:

Boogieboard Cottage

Sharing with:
That DIY Party
Three Mango Seeds
mad skills party
Boogieboard Cottage
The Everyday HomeCome Link Up at...
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. You did a great job on the chair. I just recovered a wing back chair...it was hard!!! I admire that you took all the proper steps. I need to take an upholstery class and not try winging it (no pun intended) next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2 that I need to makeover. Just when I want to try and reupholster, I get overwhelmed at the thought and change to think I just should make a slipcover. Then I get overwhelmed by making a slipcover and think I should just reupholster. It's a vicious cycle, for which my chairs will probably never get done! LOL Thanks for sharing this at Inspiration Monday... I just may try reupholstering after this! ;) ~ MamaGing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness your chair turned out so beautifully! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chair looks great--I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I've always wanted to try a project like this, but I'm always afraid I'm going to end up staring at an unfinished, half-upholstered chair in the middle of my living room for several months before I finally finish it :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chair looks fabulous. I have one similar to this that needs to be covered but have been reluctant to try it. I would hope that mine would turn out half as nice as yours.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, OK you inspired me to tackle one on my own! Thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. real good job I would say
    your pictures were very descriptive also

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an awesome job! I;m featuring you this week at Boogieboard Cottage. Have a blessed Easter, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made this look easy. Still trying to figure out whether to slip cover or dive in. I really like the idea of adding more padding and individualizing my own furniture. I will be back to check on what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete