Sunday, April 6, 2014

Paint your kitchen cabinets- the easy way!

OK, how many of you out there find it a bit overwhelming just thinking about painting all of those kitchen cabinets?  I know I did.  I have a fairly large amount of cabinets and really wanted to paint them, but kept putting it off.  It is a major project, but I am here to show you how to do it easier.


Here is my kitchen before.
I also have another small section I have no first picture of.


First of all, you can skip the sanding!  And the priming!  I was lucky enough that my hinges don't show on my cabinets so I skipped taking the doors off as well.
By using Farmhouse Paint, I painted my cabinets without the sanding, priming, or sealing.  This paint requires none of that!  That itself makes this job easier.

Follow these steps to paint your cabinets:


1. Clean them well.  You can't skip this step.  I used hot soapy water to wipe and scrub my cabinets clean.

2. Choose your favorite color of farmhouse paint. I used White Ash.

3. Take off your hardware, doors and drawers if you have showing hinges (I skipped this step).

4. Break your kitchen down into sections.  By doing this it was more like painting a 1 dresser a day.  No one says you have to get it all done at once. 

5. Use a brush to get into the grooves of the doors and to trim out where the cabinet meets the wall.  I do not tape, I just take my time and use a steady hand.

6. Fill in with a roller. This may require 2 coats.

7. Let dry and replace handles (and doors if you need to).

8. You can use a sealer if you choose, but this paint does not require one.

The nice thing about this paint, is it doesn't show brush strokes.  It fills itself in nicely so the cabinets get a professional look.
 I used 2 quarts of this paint and it was just enough.  To help you estimate, I have 20 doors, 4 small doors, 1 lazy Susan, and 8 drawers.
 I think it's time to clean off the fridge :)
 The white really opens it up and brightens up the space.
 I love how my appliances blend in now. 

New hardwood floors come in 2 weeks!!! I am very excited.

Sharing with:



Boogieboard CottageThree Mango Seedsmadskillsparty_thumb.jpg

20 comments:

  1. We are in the process of doing ours. Too bad we didn't see this first cause we have stripped and sanded and it's been a long process. Good news is that we have enough info to do a post on what not to do when painting kitchen cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never heard of farmhouse paint before your cabinets look amazing, glad you got the coverage you did because the price of this is kinda steep xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, it is! But I would gladly buy a quart if it saved me from sanding and priming. All that prep-work is one of the reasons I've put off painting my kitchen.

      Delete
  3. Where can I find the Farmhouse brand paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.farmhousepaint.com/colors/

      Delete
  4. I was going to ask the same thing. The paint looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long did this take you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I broke it down into 3 sections. The first 2 sections I did on different days. The last larger section I did on a different day with my hubby's help.

      Delete
  6. Nice job! Ours need repainting and I'm dreading it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Been wanting the same look for years. The effort and time have discouraged me, this paint may be my answer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You inspired me and I got started today. I divided the job into lower cabinets & Cupboard cap, then upper cabinets. I only have 13 doors and 4 are small but I had to take them off....hinges on the outside.., so I am leaving my doors off overnight to dry out so they don't stick to the framework and by Thursday I should have a fresh new look to my tired old kitchen. Silly me forgot to take before pictures unfortunarely. Anyway, thanks for giving me the courage to take on the project finally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farmhouse paint web site is still down. Would you tellme where you bought yours? My cabinets are waiting ,tmpattiently ! Thank you
      Jeri

      Delete
  9. Hi lovely lady.
    We did are cabinets 14 years ago just like you did.. I am painting them all over as we are having this conversation. I have 22 doors and two have glass in them over my desk.
    I hope you have a wonderful week with your family.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I was just wondering if you can see the grain of the oak through the paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No grain as long as I made sure to fill in those places with deeper grain.

      Delete
  11. Were the insides of the cabinet doors painted? If not what to they look like?

    ReplyDelete
  12. How does the farmhouse paint held up over time? I've got little kids and I worry they will ding up the cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. where do I get Farmhouse paint??

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are beautiful!!! I've got all the stuff to paint the front of my dressers (drawers only). Just waiting for the nerve to begin. First by catching a beautiful day. Then unpacking every drawer. LOL! I love the two-tone facelift so much. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi ! love them !!!!!! Can you tell me where you bought your paint ? The web page is still not working. And my cabinets are waiting , impatiently .

    ReplyDelete