Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Old Ottoman Gone Cute

Can you turn an ugly old ottoman cute?  Sure you can.  Fabric can do so much!  Take this old ottoman/foot stool for example.

Sad and ugly, right?  It had a solid frame so I knew it could become something fabulous again.
While taking it apart, I found the foam crumbling.  No surprise there.  It happens a lot.

 Ahhh. Much better!  Good solid frame and the legs are in great shape, they don't even need to be painted or touched up.
Using some mattress padding,  I cut layers of foam to create the top.  The first one was small enough to fill in the center.
 Here it is with 2 more layers of foam.
 I covered it with batting.
I stapled all along the bottom of the ottoman then snipped off the corners where there was extra and stapled them into place as well.
 All set for the fabric!
 I cut some drop cloth fabric to size...
Pinned where I wanted to sew the corners
 I cut a long strip of white fabric (this came from a sheet) then folded it and sewed it together.  Putting a safety pin on one end, I fed it through to turn the fabric right side out.
I fit the sewn cover over the ottoman and drew a chalk line where the bottom edge was.  I plan to put a ruffle there while the extra will be tucked under the bottom and stapled into place.
 Following the chalk line, I sewed the white fabric on while scrunching it under the sewing machine foot to create ruffles.
After stapling on the cover, here is the ottoman all finished.    Definitely cute again, don't you agree?



Featured at:




Sharing with:

The DIY DreamerSew Much Ado
Family Home and LifeSR_IconLogoFINAL 2home and garden button
Embracing Change
Treasure Hunt Thursday
The Dedicated House
Beyond The Picket FenceFFF

6 comments:

  1. It turned out very cute. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! You're right, it can be done! :)

    BLESSINGS!

    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. I have an old ottoman and didn't know where to start. If someone can sew a straight line they can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely perfect!! What a transformation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost finished my table to ottoman project over the weekend. Just a few finishing touches until it's on the blog. The one you finished is cute. I just nominated you for the Liebster Award! If you’d like to accept, you can see the rules at Designing Dee.com. (no space between just don't want to get spammed. ;-) I really like all the transformations on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done! I hope to find a table or an old ottoman to transform! Great tutorial! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete