Thursday, April 10, 2014

Lantern gets a patina finish

I picked up this old lantern from a garage sale last summer.  I finally got around to deciding how to paint it.  I purchased this paint kit from Michael's , it's a patina antiquing set and it was on clearance!


I set to painting and this is how it went.
This is the original condition of the lantern.
 I had my dad help me get the bottom cylinder off since he used to be a welder.

I painted it with the first layer which is a copper paint.  After the paint is dry, paint on the second patina green antiquing solution and wait.  While it dries I turns green.
 This is what it looks like now.


And now I need to decide how to use it.

1. Take out the glass and use it as a bird feeder:
Old lantern into a bird feeder
Source: Pinterest

2. Add a base and use it with candles, I would need to find a really cool base.
Quadrus Wrought Iron Pedestal Lantern

3. Make it into a succulent planter
Get green scene ambiance at light speed with a succulent-filled lantern. For this  look, we used raffia to anchor a ball of floral foam to the metal. Then we tucked in a variety of stems, along with bits of made-to-dangle greenery. To finish, we added diamond picks and hanging gems.

Which would you do?  I'm torn.  They are all lovely.

Featured at:
Photobucket

Sharing with:
FRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGEPhotobucket
Rooted In ThymeThe Shabby Nest
Photobucket   http://www.craftsalamode.com  
Truly Lovely

3 comments:

  1. It came out great! Im affraid I would be torn too. All the ideas you posted would be so perfect for this lantern. I will say, I like the birdfeeder. Thanks for sharing :)

    Blessings,

    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I turned a lantern into a succulent planter, too. Its my favorite accent piece in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That came out nice! You should use it for a tiny little seasonal vignette. Hello from the Anything Goes Linky. :)

    ReplyDelete