Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Salvaged chair legs to bench

About 6 months ago I found a broken chair curbside.  The legs were nice and curvy so I grabbed it.  What do you know, last week I found a twin!  Since I now have 4 matching legs, it is time to do something with them.

 I began taking the chair apart right away!
Aren't these legs lovely?
I have been brainstorming on ways to makeover my living room (we'll save all the details for another post).  Lately I have been thinking that maybe a bench by the entry way would be nice, so I went with it.
 We cut down some 2x4's to size, created some corner brackets and put it all together.
I had a table leaf laying around that would work perfect for the seat area.
I simply took of the end pieces.  One of those was used to cut down to make the corner bracket pieces.
I used 2 layers of mattress topper foam and 2 layers of batting.  I cut holes in the foam where the button tufts would go.

Covering of choice, drop cloth.
I used screws and washers to create the tufts just like I did for the Coffee table turned tufted ottoman.  On this piece I opted for some nail head trim at the base.  The legs in this photo look so yellow.  Probably due to the evening lighting.  I wasn't sure what color to paint them so I decided I could paint them after if I chose.  Now, I'm not so sure.
 Would you paint the legs?  They are actually a light oak color, like in the picture of the chair above.
 Here is a closeup of the tufting.  I had some buttons I rescued from another project and covered them and hot glued them in place.
This is how you rescue chair legs and turn them into a beautiful bench.


Featured at:


Beyond The Picket Fence


Sharing with:



Family Home and Life
Ivy and Elephants

MMJ ButtonLovely Ladies LinkyEmbracing Change home and garden buttonthursday favorite things blog hopFrom My Front Porch To Yours- Treasure Hunt Thursday
Beyond The Picket Fence

13 comments:

  1. This turned out great!! Love the nail heads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your chair turned tufted bench - great job! I'm amazed at the beautiful projects I'm seeing on social media made from drop cloths. Your bench caught my eye over at the From Dream to Reality Party.
    Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bench...you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sexy legs... almost begging for stockings!! Fabulous job, and explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! I've been wanting a bench. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sooooo in love with this bench. what an awesome idea and the tufting? gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a beautiful piece. Way to upcycle the legs and leaf! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara, you did such a beautiful job. This is truly a stunning result, and it all started with chair legs! Thank you for joining the fun and sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing! I love how resourceful you were...beautiful job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea and beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderfully done! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday - I appreciate you sharing,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete