Thursday, February 6, 2014

Ruffle ottoman makeover

Yet another drop cloth makeover here.  I don't ever tire of them either.  The fabric is durable, affordable and neutral.  What more could you ask for?  How about a free ottoman to makeover with the dropcloth?

Perfect.

This poor ottoman was out on trash day.  I just had to pick it up.  It has good bones, but the duct taped corners weren't looking so good. 

My first thought was to make it over completely and leave it as a storage ottoman.  I would have to replace the legs because they are plastics and plain.  Myself, I like legs with some detail or curves.  The inside would also have to be recovered as well as the hinges and support bar so it doesn't flop closed or open too far would also need to be replaced.  Then, I had a great idea.  Less work and a makeover I have loved seeing a few times.
First thing I did was save the buttons.  Never know when you run into another tufting job.  Buttons can be expensive.
I used some plates and screws to attach the top to the bottom.  In this case I gets rid of the storage option, but that's ok.
After cutting my dropcloth fabric to the sizes and pieces I needed, I sewed the corners of the top.  Next comes attaching the ruffled skirt.  I simply fold the drop cloth over every 2 inches and sewed right over it.
Once the cover was finished, I made sure it fit snug.  Lifting up the ruffle sides, I stapled the bottom section of the top cover to the sides of the ottoman.  I purposely left a 1" space to do just this.
Cute little pleated ottoman all finished in just a few steps.

Sharing with:
Rooted In Thyme
Photobucket2013 Shab Friday logoPhotobucketTickled Pink at 504 MainThe Shabby Nest
Truly Lovely
Whipperberry

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty; I love the way you designed the skirt portion. Great job!

    ReplyDelete