Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tufted ottoman from a coffee table

Before we get started, I have to tell you I love tufted ottomans.  This one is inspired by the one Addicted to Decorating did just recently.  Only, mine is made from a curbside coffee table base.  She made hers from scratch so if you haven't seen it, be sure to stop over and take a look.  It is amazing!
Anyways, this coffee table base was in my basement the first time I saw her ottoman she built.  I knew as soon as I saw it, I was going to use that base for this ottoman.  Except, I like the lighter colors of her inspiration.

With no top for this coffee table, you can see why I was waiting.  I did a wash of grey chalk paint on the whole base followed by dry brushing with white.
Trying to do this with what I had on hand I found some of these shelf boards I also found curbside.  After I cut them down to size, I used some brackets I found at home depot for $.58 each.  These are good to have on had for that split table or broken chair seat.
I flipped the top over and here is where we are so far.  I topped the boards with 3 layers of the cheap foam egg crate bed toppers I have collected.  A drop cloth was my fabric of choice that I also had on hand.
I used screws and washers to make the tufting...but I did it all wrong.  It was too tight as you can see, there aren't any tufts.  I was trying to decide if I undo it all or just go with it.  The decision was made for me when I went to staple the fabric on the bottom, one of the screws popped off and ripped the fabric with a hole too big to use.  I took out the screws and started again.  This time following the way Kristi did hers.  Her tutorial is fabulous.
This time it worked much better.
See the difference?  I stole her idea of using googly eyes to make the buttons and hot glued them on.  The top screwed onto the base easily since there were already holes in the base from the coffee table top.



Mine didn't turn out as crisp as Kristi's, but I think it turned out pretty good.

Featured at:

The DIY Dreamer


Sharing with

The DIY Dreamerunnamed (3)
Family Home and Life
Savvy Southern Style
Lovely Ladies Linky
thursday favorite things blog hopIvy and Elephantshome and garden buttonEmbracing Change MMJ Button
Beyond The Picket Fence
Treasure Hunt ThursdayFFF

14 comments:

  1. I love the idea of turning coffee tables into benches. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that turned out great. Thanks for the tips on tufting. I tufted a headboard last year and it took so many tries. I'm happy with my results but will take your tips into account next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautifully! Thanx for sharing it at THT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is amazing! I love the white-washed finished, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted to do. Did you just use egg crates or did you use batting too? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tufted things also! My husband and I made our own tufted headboard. I love the idea of using an egg crate. We used foam and it was harder to work with.

    Hopping over from Catherine's Thursday Favorite Things Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sara! I just popped over from Before and After Wednesday. I spotted your link because I too had posted a tufted bench! (Maybe it's a virus LOL) Yours is gorgeous! I too used the screw and washer technique. This my second bench and if I tuft again, I think I may go for thinner foam. I just love the tufted look! Happy 2014

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out great! I want to make one, but all of the tufting intimidates me. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great job on the tufting! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun idea! I enjoyed going through the process with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tufting always seemed so scary to me but you have made me feel like maybe I can do it, too! Fab job!
    Thanks for linking up to Hit Me With Your Best Shot! Hope to see you again tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sara, Your ottoman turned out marvelously! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah this is just gorgeous. Tufting is so hard to do. I love that you shared the mistakes too. The final product is amazing. I am sharing at my party tomorrow. Thank you so much for linking up to Redoux!

    ReplyDelete