Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Later country

I have yet another country heart piece. 2 actually. They have been sitting as well, while I contemplate what to do with them.  Then a friend of mine sent me a picture of something she found online and wanted something similar made.  This piece would work perfectly.

I took it all apart and got rid of one shelf and the heart on top.
I added some scrap wood to create a back.
I used an ebony stain- the color she wanted.
I printed off the saying she wanted.  Colored the back with pencil and copied it onto the flat back.  In this case, it would have been better to use chalk.  The pencil was hard to see on the dark background, but I managed.
After sealing it with a clear sealant, it was all finished.
But wait!  There's more!  
I wanted to give her options and since I was already working with this design, I had another piece that would work as well.
This one will be turned into 2 pieces.  I started by taking off the little ledge piece and cutting it into 2 parts.
I took apart the top section with the heart and followed a similar style bathroom towel rack as above.
This is how this one turned out.
As for the bottom?
I used the extra shelf from the first project to create a top.
I used the palace grey from Farmhouse paint as a wash.  I only had a little tiny bit leftover after that coffee table so I  added a little bit of water and painted the box.  When it was almost dry, I used a damp paper towel to wipe off some of the paint.  I followed up with some dry brushing  with the creamy linen.
It can be used as a note station such as this, or...
A charging station.  The small i phone cord fits through that tiny hole perfectly!




Sharing with:

Savvy Southern Style http://accidentallywonderful.blogspot.com

Lovely Ladies LinkyMoonlight & Mason Jars Link Partythursday favorite things blog hophome and garden button
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Embracing Change

7 comments:

  1. Well done Sara!!!! Thank you so much for helping to make the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop so much fun Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! I see these pieces all of the time and have never even come close to imagining how they could be upcycled - all I can think to do is repaint.. You are truly very creative!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just clever! Thanks for sharing your projects. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, creative transformations! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete