Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Frugal trim for your upholstering jobs


Hi all!  Today I wanted to share with you how I trimmed the antique couch I just shared with you.



I went to JoAnn Fabrics to find some trim.  I came away empty handed!  They did not have a very good color match and anything that was close, they didn't have enough.  I could have special ordered it, but it takes up to 3 weeks for it to come in.  Yeah, not going to happen.  I'm not that patient, and at some point, I want my living room back!

I even went as far as to check all the rick rack, binding and ribbon.  Nothing.  What's a girl to do?

Get Creative!


I was using a drop cloth to cover this couch so I decided to cut off all the seams and use those!  Simple and cheap!  I cut it off leaving just enough of the cut edge so it could be folded over.


I then used my hot glue gun to glue the cut edge.


Simply fold it over and press it down.  By the way.  Those pink things on my fingers are made by Mod Podge for the purpose of protecting your fingers while using hot glue.  Genius idea!  I love them.  Cannot tell you how many times I have burned my fingers.

Next step is to simply hot glue the trim onto the upholstered piece to cover up all those ugly staples and tacs.


Of course, this trim trick only works if you are using something with a sewn edge like drop cloths, curtains, or table cloths.  But, it works!  I am glad I didn't find any fancy trim and this blends in well with the couch.  Otherwise, it would have taken away from the beautiful detail on the carved couch. It also saved me from having to sew the trim...all 20 yards of it!  This girl is thankful I didn't have to do that!

Do you have any trim tricks?



Featured at:
Photobucket




Sharing with:




The DIY Dreamer
Just a Girl and Her Blog


Family Home and Life
Ivy and Elephants

home and garden buttonLovely Ladies LinkyFrom My Front Porch To Yours- Treasure Hunt ThursdayEmbracing Change MMJ Buttonthursday favorite things blog hopPhotobucket
Beyond The Picket Fence

6 comments:

  1. Wow! A Highend look with a great price piont. Very Clever use of materials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an ingenious idea. That will help a lot with some of my projects coming up... thanks for sharing.. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. Just found you at "Embracing Change". Pinning this one.

    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful couch. Love drop cloth fabric too.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous - wonderful tip - looks terrific! So delighted you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete