Sunday, January 26, 2014

Antique Couch- a new life, a new WOW!

I have been working on this project for a week.  I am so excited to share with you today this antique couch makeover.  This was done for a customer, but I so wish I could keep it.  I will be keeping my eyes out for one so I can have one like this!

This is how this couch came to me.  Faded and dirty fabric (it used to be cream with gold and green leaves), frumpy cushions and dated.

This is my first couch makeover, though I have done tons of chairs and benches.  I was pretty confident I could get this done.


First things first, pull off all the trim that was glued on.
Start pulling the staples, then keep. on.  pulling.  After I pulled about 8 pounds of staples out, I was finally down to the cushion and batting. *insert sigh of relief

As I took the pieces off I labeled them with a sharpie so I would remember where they went and which way was the top.  This way I could use it as a template.
Here is the couch all stripped of its fabric.  Next came the paint job.  I did a wash of grey chalk paint.
I followed the grey with a wash/dry brush of creamy white.

Just look at how those details pop now!  I didn't worry about full coverage and getting into all the nooks and crannies.  I love the contrasts.  Clear wax was applied for protection.
I started the upholstery on the bottom, the part where the cushions will sit.  I folded under the edge.  this creates a crisp edge, extra security, and no frayed edges that may peak out under the trim.



The front pieces were next, followed by the back pieces.  I had to redo the round middle section about 3 times in order to get the puckers out.  Circular sections are always a little tricky for me, but I just keep playing with it until it works.
 After the whole front and back were finished, I added trim work.
I will have a tutorial on how I did the trim for this particular piece later this week.

Next came the cushions.  I dread this part even more than pulling staples if you can believe that!  The cushions for this couch are down filled so they were easy to stuff in, but it is hard to get them fluffed and picture perfect.  See the finished result:


For some reason the couch looks better in person.  I wish I was a photographer sometimes to help capture the real beauty.






I think this couch finally convinced my husband to let me look for one!  Yay!


I was featured:


Upcycled, Repurposed and Vintage Decor Inspiration Party Knick of Time Tuesday

Sharing with:



partyThat DIY Party Twigg StudiosBoogieboard CottageThree Mango Seedsmad-skills-button_thumb2_thumb2_thum
Sweet Sharing Monday Link PartyGive Me the Goods Monday

Making the World Cuter
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
PhotobucketJoin Me on Tuesday forFFF

10 comments:

  1. Nice job!! Looks so much better! I can see why you want one for yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an amazing transformation. You definitely deserve one of your own after that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful job! The color is fantastic and so much prettier now than when it arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a huge transformation! Well done! I wish I knew how to do that. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this exact sofa and I have the matching chair. I know my grandmother bought it in an antique store before I was born in 1958. I have tried to research this style to find out just how old it really is. Does your client know anything about this sofa by chance ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like info on this couch I have exact same one and cannot figure or find anything about it out. Thanks

      Delete