Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How to update country hearts


I found this country style bench with heart cut outs in the sides.  I can't pass up wood, no matter how outdated it may be.  You can always use the parts and pieces, right?


Here you can see the bench.
Here is a close up.

I decided I could cut the heart out and the bench would still be solid enough to remain a bench.
I painted it with some Beach Glass by American Paint Co paint.
I added dark and clear wax to add some age. Here it looks splotchy and dark since  I just applied it. You can see I didn't do the seat.  You'll see why.
I cut some foam, angling the sides slightly.  I chose a cute striped print I had in my scrap pile.  I only needed a small piece for this bench.
I stapled it all around.

Then I used hot glue to apply a matching ribbon around the edge to cover up the staples.
It definitely doesn't look country anymore, does it?

Thanks for stopping by!

Featured at:
Photobucket


Sharing with:

The DIY DreamerHomemade-By-Youblog buttons-003
Family Home and Life
livelaughlinky 250x250
Embracing Change Christmas buttonthursday favorite things blog hopPhotobucketFFF

8 comments:

  1. That worked out great for this piece!! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out pretty good! I still have a few hearts but not ready to given up just yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you did, but I think I would have also trimmed off the top of the heart as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! I like the indentation from the heart, actually, I think it adds a nice detail. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOOOO smart!! There are way too many pieces out there with those hearts! I always pass them up because I have no idea how together rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you did with this, especially cutting out the hearts. the color is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That turned out great! Any suggestions of what to do with hearts that are near the top of the side. I have a quilt rack with hearts near the top and a rail right above them, so I can't really cut them out.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Wow! This is an awesome transformation! Love the color! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    kathy

    ReplyDelete