Sunday, November 3, 2013

How to hide a broken corner on a dresser

My mom picked this dresser up from a garage sale.  She really liked it, but it has a broken corner.  So, to my house it came.

This is after I stained the filler someone already tried to patch.
It's not bad but way too obvious that it has been repaired.  What do you do?  Replace the top? edge it?  I couldn't really add an edge with trim because the whole top is rounded.  I could add some decal with glacage to cover up that corner!  It has been a while since I have used this stuff, but I love it.  Some other projects I used it on are the primitive bench, making faux tin tiles, and dress up a dresser.
I piped on the glacage to cover the corner.  It doesn't look so good right now, but as it dried I began to carve out some of the leaf shapes to match the rest of the detail on the dresser.  From there I used dark wax to help the colors match and to make some details pop.  I also dry brushed on some gold to match the rest of the dresser.

Here is after the gold was dry brushed on.  1 more coat of dark wax now to get...
Much better.  You cannot even tell it was broken.
Such a gorgeous dresser!

Happy Monday!

Sharing with:


partyThree Mango Seeds
Boogieboard Cottage..Twigg studios
mad-skills-button_thumb2_thumb2_thum[1]Sweet Sharing Monday Link Party
Making the World Cuter

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

6 comments:

  1. Great job on the corner. The dresser is so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - you did a great job! You can't even tell! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful piece! I am gonna pin this one to our board! Thanks for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase!!

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, have never heard of this product before, but will certainly get some now. Very well done, you certainly retained the beauty and the integrity of the dresser. I'm very impressed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fix! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Finally someone writes about .

    Feel free to surf to my page :: therapy lights (http://8544da.heteml.jp/)

    ReplyDelete