Take note of the boxy appearance of this chair I am going to refinish. It was given to me by a friend who lost interest in recovering it. These chairs can be hard and they take a lot of fabric.
Lucky for me I found some nice fabric at a garage sale for $3! A whole roll of it!
Here is the chair all stripped from its original upholstery.
I started, as always, with the seat. You can see I used some new batting to fluff up some of the areas.
Next I covered the arms and the sides with one big piece per side. I added a few folds and tucks to add some elegance to the chair. I also decided nail head trim would add some interest on this now neutral chair.
My next step was to cover the back of the seat. I draped the fabric where I wanted it and tucked it into the crevices, but I did not tack or staple it yet.
I went with some tufting buttons. Then proceeded to staple all the edges.
For the back, I tacked down the top with cardboard, draped the fabric down and held it in place with some more nail head tacks.
Last but not least, I sewed the cushion cover. I added pleats along the front of the seat.
Some closeup of the pleats and nail head on the side of the chair.