Sunday, October 13, 2013

Modern flair on a vintage chair

I found this vintage chair with its original upholstery so I knew it was made in 1965.  The bottom of the chair said so.  Structurally great, but the fabric was sad.
I decided to add a modern flair to it.


Here is the tag I told you about.  It's always neat to find things like this.
Especially since it was make in Michigan!
I took the seat and the back off and was surprised to see how this chair seat was made.  I have done a lot of chairs, but have never seen a seat quite like this, have you?
One word of advice while working on old furniture, always be prepared for an extra step... or 5.  I took the fabric off to see the foam was crumbly and falling apart.  I had to replace the foam and the batting.  I also had to do a slight repair to the springs.
This makeover is just a basic upholstery job.  Nothing fancy or extravagant so I won't go into all the details. Here is the back of the seat being recovered.
Simply staple on a piece of fabric for the back of the back.
Here is the seat on top of the fabric, batting then the foam.  The chair was primed then painted in the same wheat grass paint I used on the waterfall dresser.
Here is the chair all finished.  I forgot to mention and take photos of adding the piping onto the back of the chair.
It goes perfectly with the dresser I painted.
Don't you think?
I noticed that when you look at the pictures the color looks more like a green, however, it is more on the yellow side.  Have a great day!


Featured at:


Sharing with:

Monday Funday Link Party at thatswhatchesaid.netMonday2 Make the Scene Monday #96http://www.astrollthrulife.net   partyDIY blog Classy Cluttermad-skills-button_thumb2_thumb2_thumSweet Sharing Monday Link Party
Give Me the Goods Monday
DIY Show Off

Boogieboard Cottage

FFF

11 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! At first I wasn't sure about the gray/white with the frame color, but when it's with the dresser it looks AWESOME! I have always wanted to try a chair redo. This might be just the nudge I need to get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed the chair does go with the dresser and both are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it what a amazing makeover. I would love for you to link up to Inspire Me this afternoon. Party goes live at 2:30 PT. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this colour combo! Great job )

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great, love the combination of fabric with this style of chair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this chair! You did great. I'm hosting a pillow cover giveaway that you should enter! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/10/pillow-covers-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful transformation! Love the fabric/paint combo you picked! I popped over from Give Me the Goods-- thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic makeover!!! I love it! I'm pinning it to the Monday Funday pin board. Thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice. Just wondering if you replace the original foam/stuffing and use new?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The chevron is a great addition to this chair. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete