Sunday, September 29, 2013

Radio cabinet to wine cabinet

Sadly, the wonderful season of garage sales is coming to an end here in Michigan.  I did manage to grab a few good finds these last few weeks.  I have been working hard on this radio cabinet I found.  As soon as I saw it I knew it would become a wine cabinet.


The cabinet still had all the parts, but the wires were rotting and many of the inside parts were rusted.


Besides being super dirty, the cabinet had some veneer that was coming off.  Luckily none of it was broken and just needed to be glued down.

After gutting the whole thing, I added legs to the cabinet.  The first step was to cut a board to fit the bottom since the cabinet did not have one.  I drilled holes in the 4 corners and added T nuts to screw the legs into.
Then I attached the bottom using screws.

I screwed the legs into the holes I had prepared then set it up so I could get to work on the rest.

I needed to come up with a way to make the wine rack.  I remembered using a drill bit from my dad that cuts a bigger hole.
I borrowed it again and cut 2 2 x 4's at the same time to create a crescent to hold the neck of the wine bottles.
For the larger body part of the bottle, I cut like this.  I didn't have a drill bit that was large enough to cut out a hole for this part.  This will do, especially since it will be in the back.
 The boards for the front were simply screwed right into the front.  The ones in the back needed to be screwed into the sides of the cabinet.  In order for the screws not to show, I used L brackets and wood glue.
There were 2 box holes in the top of the inside of the cabinet where the record player and radio used to be.  I took advantage of those holes and attached boxes also using L brackets.
Here you can see  the boxes from the top.  The one on the left was an old drawer and the one on the right was a box I picked up from a garage sale.  Lucky for me I had these on hand so I didn't have to  build them.
Here is what we have so far.  Are you still with me?
Next I spray painted the inside grey.  Then I sanded, primed, then painted the cabinet white.

The graphic of course came from The Graphics Fairy
The cabinet is also lightly distressed.



There you have it.  An old radio cabinet turned wine cabinet.


Featured at:


Craft Frenzy Friday
 I Brought The Goods Monday

Sharing with:
Monday Funday Link Party at thatswhatchesaid.net


DIY Show Off

Monday2 Make the Scene Monday #94
Three Mango Seeds
Photobucketparty..Twigg studios
Boogieboard Cottage
mad-skills-button_thumb2_thumb2_thum[1]
Sweet Sharing Monday Link Party
Give Me the Goods MondayPhotobucket 
Craft Dictator

19 comments:

  1. What a fantastic transformation!!!
    LOVE !!!
    Visiting from Homemaker on a dime :)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous project!! Thanks for showing how. Love this. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Up cycle! It's amazing the "next project" you can visualize from an old piece of furniture ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely! Sharing with a friend who will love it :-)
    Visiting from Sweet Sharing Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I turned a radio into a bar at my house so I have a special appreciation. I really like the flip-up top. so glad I found you via Give Me the Goods! ~Ali from Pies & Puggles

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks SO cool! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I am crushing hard on this upcycle! Beautiful transformation Sara! I so adore salvaging vintage items! pinning, tweeting, following!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you have done. You should come show off your creativity at our link party.
    http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com/2013/10/craft-frenzy-friday-7.html
    The party will not be the same without you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for linking up to Much Ado About Monday!! So glad you stopped by and shared this, because YOU are my feature for the week! Please come by and grab a button :)) Have a GREAT weekend!!

    Karla
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cool! You've been featured from Give Me The Goods! And you'll be on my FB page this morning ;)
    Hugs,
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This will surely take up just a bit of space, built from easy-to-find materials, and can be completed in a day or less.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great. Your article helped me to convert trash into a very useful product. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So creative. wanna make one for myself, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete