Thursday, September 5, 2013

Going homemade

Like many out there I have concerns over what is being put in our food and our products.  All of the GMO (genetically modified) ingredients, artificial what nots, hydrogenated oils, and don't forget the arsenic (found in rice).  


The more I do to avoid things I know I should avoid, the more and more I find.  This is why I am trying to add more homemaking to my daily to do list.  My garden helps so much in this area, I love having it.  Many of the things I am about to list have a link to a recipe or information about it.  

So far, I make my own:
breads- have been trying lots of different recipes and have not settled on one yet
pizza crust
hamburger buns
muffins
bagels
pancakes
bisquick mix
granola bars
granola   
Granola

I use whole wheat flour that I grind myself.
peach jam

I also made tons of jam in peach, blackberry, strawberry, and blueberry (all organic fruit) this year.  Freezer pears are super delicious.  Buying local honey is supposed to help with allergies so we do that.
Freezer pears

I shred my own cheeses,  make my own seasoning mixes and marinades. Salad dressing is another one I have started to make.

I freeze extra green peppers, green beans, sugar snap peas
sun dried tomatoes

Sun dried tomatoes are a cinch, I also make freezer stewed tomatoes, salsa, refrigerator pickles, pizza sauce- I freeze in an ice cube tray and take out 3-5 per pizza to thaw, spaghetti sauce- also frozen.



I also make my own household cleaners.  Mainly baking soda and vinegar can clean just about anything!  No harsh chemicals for me!

What I want to get better at and add to my homemade list are:

homemade yogurt
soups and stews
tortillas- I have tried but have not perfected with the whole wheat
english muffins
fruit leather
crackers
pesto
apple chips
apple sauce
homemade beauty products like face wash, lotions, and soaps

I am so very curious if any of you have interest in doing this yourselves.  Do you have anything you would like to share, because I would love to hear it!

Sharing with:
HookingupwithHoHlivelaughlinky 250x250
Embracing Change Link party every Wednesday over at the36thavenue.com
HGTbtngrey
Thursday Favorite Things
The DIY Dreamer
DIY Vintage Chic

2 comments:

  1. Great idea using ice cube trays. My hubby and I have started making a lot of homemade foods as well and can't be happier. Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features tomorrow and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Girl! We've got to take charge of our health! I make my own granola, jams, etc...need to branch out some and find some trustworthy sources. Great post,
    I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete