Sunday, September 15, 2013

Chair to vanity seat

This curb side find has been sitting in my basement for about a month.  I just loved the legs and if nothing else, I could use them for something.  As I was browsing some of the link parties the other day, I saw a vanity seat that looked just like a chair with its back cut off.  I clicked over, but it was really a vanity seat.

This  gave me an idea.  Why not turn this chair into a vanity seat by cutting off the broken section.

Other than the broken back, this chair was in solid condition.

I had this trim piece from another broken chair that I decided to attach to the back to add a little detail.
I cut off the pegs on the ends.
In the holes that were already there, I glued in some wooden dowels.
Here is what it looks like after the dowels were added.
In order to drill holes in the chair to attach this piece, I use some of my daughters sidewalk chalk.
I color the dowel with some chalk.
Line it up where you want it and press down so the chalk leaves a mark where you should drill.
Drill the holes where the chalk marks were.
Using some wood glue, I glued the dowels and the bottom of the trim.
Once that was dry, it was time to paint.
I used some white primer and paint for this piece.  The seat is a nice velvet green with yellow flowers.
Some light distressing was done on some of the detail work.
Now I have a vanity seat that was once a chair!

Featured at:

Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
Sharing with:

party
DIY blog Classy Clutter
DIY Show Off


Monday Funday Link party
Monday2 Make the Scene Monday #92
Three Mango SeedsBoogieboard Cottage..Twigg studios

Sweet Sharing Monday Link Party
mad-skills-button_thumb2_thumb2_thum[1]The DIY'ers
The DIY Dreamer

6 comments:

  1. Great update! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute and what a clever idea! I love it.... And the chalk....so simple, yet genius!!!

    New follower on G+!! Can't wait to see what else you'll do. I hope you'll come follow my blog, as well....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice!! I love how you can repurpose a chair into a vanity stool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! What a great stool now. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous makeover!! I would have never thought to do this! Visiting from Roadkill rescue.

    ReplyDelete