Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mirror makeover- how to replace missing pieces

My wonderful hubby brought me home this mirror he found.  A beautiful piece of work, but it had a broken part.  How do you replace something that has broken off?

 Gorgeous detail!

See the missing part?
I set to work on replacing that broken piece using clay and plaster.

I just assumed the missing part on the left was the same as the in tact part on the right so I stuck some clay over it to make a mold.
Now that I have a mold, I poured some plaster in the small flower shape and let it dry.

I took it out of the mold and glued it on using E6000.
I painted 3 layers (all from Maison Blanche PaintCo) as follows:
1. La Craie in Magnolia
2. dark wax by Maison Blanche Paint Co
3. Dry brushed La Craie in Magnolia over the dark wax.
Can you tell it was ever broken?
I love the aged effect the wax and the dry brushing creates.

Next time you have a missing or broken piece, don't trash the piece, instead replace the broken part. Use this same plaster and clay technique to create your own furniture appliques.


Featured at:




Sharing with:

 Inspiring Creative Moments square
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Crafty ConfessionsOne Project at a Time Link party - ABFOLPhotobucket Ivy and Elephants
The DIY Dreamer

5 comments:

  1. That's pretty amazing ~ I have a few pieces that could use this technique ... some day ... hehe!! So nice your hubby picks up treasures for you too! Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I have several mirrors that need repairs ... thanks for the tip. Now that I have found my clay, maybe I can try this. Love your paint treatment too.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! If I had the room and need for it, I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Nice job with the fix-up and with the new finish! Stop by my Friday's Five Features this week and link up this post (and others)! diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete