Monday, August 26, 2013

French buffet

A local shop owner asked me to fix and makeover an antique buffet.  Boy did it need work.

Layers of peeling veneer, drawers and doors that fell in or didn't close, chips, scratches, and old wallpaper lining.  It wasn't a pretty site, but I was up for the challenge.
Here is a closeup of the top.
After I removed the mirror, and  the top layer, this is what was underneath.
I removed the bubbled up layer and this is the top after that.  I couldn't flip this top over like I do on some of my other projects, so I filled in the holes.  Between filling and sanding over and over, I worked on fixing the drawers and doors.  I tightened some hinges and added new glides on the drawer bottoms.
Once I started to paint the top, I had a lot of bleeding where the water damage was.  I waxed over it, then painted.  You can see the stripe I painted to be sure it wasn't going to bleed through again.
I attached the mirror back on to paint that section next.  (I have since cleaned up the mess in my garage)
The drawers and in side of the cabinet needed some lining.
I used mod podge...
and wrapping paper.
The wooden wheels on the casters were broken off on all 4 casters.

Those were very easy to replace.  Just pull out the old caster, and pop in another one.
I enlarged a french typography graphic from The Graphics Fairy.
Using blockposters is the easiest way to do this.  You can see details on how to enlarge a stencil or graphic here.
I had these white painted wooden knobs that I added a fleur de lis graphic also from The Graphics Fairy.
Now she is all finished and at the shop.



Featured at:



Three Mango Seeds

..Twigg studios


Sharing with:

Sumo's Sweet Stuff

Sweet Sharing Monday Link PartyMonday2 Make the Scene Monday #89 Keeping It Simple..Twigg studios
Three Mango Seedsparty
Give Me the Goods MondayBoogieboard Cottage
The DIY'ers />

13 comments:

  1. Wow that was a lot of work, but you did an incredible job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite some makeover - well done for turning it into a beautiful piece of furniture! (via Graphics Fairy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have walked right past that piece and shuddered.

    I admire people who take on ugly ducklings and turn them into swans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This looks great! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIYers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-last-weeks-top-three.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopped over from the Graphics Fairy - what a stunning transformation on this dresser! Gotta go - I can't wait to check out your other work! ~ Kari

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an amazing transformation. It's hard to believe it's the same piece. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing transformation! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! You did a fantastic job! Love it so much that I'm featuring it tomorrow. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Labor Day! Just wanted to let you know that you were featured at Give Me the Goods. Come by, grab a button, and link up some more fabulous projects!

    Rachel @ Maison de Pax

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping in to pin. I love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks awesome -- you are very brave - I think I would have RUN from this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job! Mary

    ReplyDelete