Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Chippy goodness- a coffee table makeover

How do you intentionally make something chippy?  I mean really chippy!  This coffee table needed some tlc.  Most importantly it needed a different way to dress it up.  It was covered with that stone spray paint.  You know the kind where the can sprays out little tiny pebbles of a couple of different colors to give it a stone texture?


Here is a close up.

Gorgeous, isn't it?
After stripping and sanding and cleaning it looked like this-

Still not all cleaned off, but I uncovered some gorgeous tiger wood on the top.
Look what else I found under those layers of splatter...some beautiful pressed wood work.
With some more sanding and cleaning, I decided to try to match the sides and go with the chippy look.  Let's get real, it would take a lot of work to get all of that paint out of those carvings.  Besides that, I love how the white in the carvings brings out the detail.
I found lots of rings and faded sections on the top.   I glued the drawer back together.
I took a wooden block and smeared some paint on it.  I then scraped it across the top of the table and anywhere else I wanted some more chippy goodness.
Here is the look I had after smearing the paint around.
I sanded a few areas, stained it, then protected the finish with a water based wipe on poly.


I love how it turned out.  Such a pretty piece!

Sharing with:


Inspiring Creative Moments square

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Crafty Confessions


One Project at a Time Link party - ABFOLFFFPhotobucket


The DIY Dreamer

4 comments:

  1. Stone texture spray paint? I seriously wonder what people are thinking sometimes when they "redo" furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great look! I love the chippy look and this turned out great!!

    Blessings, Edie Marie

    Found you on Coastal Charm's Tuesday party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty table you found underneath! I think it was worth all the work ~ it turned out great!
    Thank you for sharing at Brag About It this week.
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did someone cover those details?! Very cool effect! Found your post on MMSFFF!

    ReplyDelete