Here is a close up.
Gorgeous, isn't it?
After stripping and sanding and cleaning it looked like this-
Still not all cleaned off, but I uncovered some gorgeous tiger wood on the top.
Look what else I found under those layers of splatter...some beautiful pressed wood work.
With some more sanding and cleaning, I decided to try to match the sides and go with the chippy look. Let's get real, it would take a lot of work to get all of that paint out of those carvings. Besides that, I love how the white in the carvings brings out the detail.
I found lots of rings and faded sections on the top. I glued the drawer back together.
I took a wooden block and smeared some paint on it. I then scraped it across the top of the table and anywhere else I wanted some more chippy goodness.
Here is the look I had after smearing the paint around.
I sanded a few areas, stained it, then protected the finish with a water based wipe on poly.
I love how it turned out. Such a pretty piece!