Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Re purposed door and mirror frame

Before we get started, just a quick reminder that tomorrow, Thursday, Raising Dick and Jane and I will be hosting a

Be sure to stop by and link up, or check out all the wonderful projects!

What can you do with an old door?  What can you do with an old mirror frame?  I found the perfect marriage with this pair.
This is a neat old mirror frame that I received from freecycle.
Here is a very cool door I found at an estate sale.  Note: the door is only 4 foot by 18".  It was probably from a cabinet.
Upon close inspection of the mirror frame, you can see that the spindle on the far side is bowed a little.  This is the reason I went with the idea of building a table.
I cut the top portion off, which helped limit the amount of bend on the left spindle.
I drilled a hole and glued in a wooden dowel.
With this drill attachment (from my dad) I drilled holes in a 2 x 4 large enough to fit over the spindles.
Here is a dry fit to make sure it worked.
I drilled holes in the bottom of the door for the dowel to fit into.

Using lots of wood glue, I put all the pieces together.
I added a few screws to connect the table and the 2 x 4, then also put one through the 2 x 4 and the spindles.
After staining the 2 x 4 and touching up some marks on the legs, here it is.  It would make a great sofa table or entry table, don't you think?
This really wasn't a very difficult project.  The hardest part was coming up with a plan.  Now, if you have other ideas you would have used to attache these 2 pieces together, I would love to hear about them!
It is a rare thing when I don't paint something, but the old door just had such beautiful wood I left it as is.


Featured at:
Photobucket

Sharing with:
Homemade by You Wednesday with Katie


Photobucket
:Ashley's Dandelion Wishes

9 comments:

  1. I just love it! I can't wait to show my parents and they can see how the mirror frame was re-purposed.
    Stephanie P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! My hubby wants a table about this size!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, cute, cute. Such a clever idea. I would love for you to link up to my ongong Inspire Me party. - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/172nd-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this project! How clever to combine a mirror base and a door! I would love it if you would come and link this up at my link party
    Dandelion Wishes Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.

    I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it....I love the door...I love the mirror frame....I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great job marrying the two pieces! Love the new table.

    catching you!
    gail

    ReplyDelete