Monday, July 8, 2013

Piano bench with layered paint

Before we begin with today's  project, I want to share some exciting news.  Raising Dick and Jane and I have teamed up to offer a re purposed link party on Thursday!  If you have projects to link up, please come back Thursday and do just that!

So, once again I stepped out of my comfort zone of white and light colors to try a new to me technique.  I wanted to try this layered paint technique I have been seeing around. You can see lots of examples at Lake Girl Paints or Beyond  the Picket Fence.   I like how the piece looks aged.
Here is the piano bench I got from a neighbor.
Yet again, another veneer issue!  I scraped off what I could do easily.  When that didn't take it all off, I used the wet rag technique where you wet a rag to fit over the veneer you want to remove.

Here is the inside.
The cross bar on the bottom needed to be replaced.  It was badly chewed up.  I just used some brackets to support it from the bottom.  I primed this piece then got to work on the paint layering technique.

I started with a nice layer of this teal color.  What is nice about this layering technique is that you don't have to cover anything perfectly.  I like that.
I also used a very light sage green/grey color, and some pomegranate red.
I layered and layered with those 3 colors by dry brushing over the 1st base coat until I liked the effect.  It was followed by a dark wax.


I like this technique.  I can see where I can improve, but I do believe I will try it again.  I hope you go out and try something new!

Sharing with:


DIY blog Classy Clutter

Rain on a Tin roof
BWS tips button
DIY Show Off

Keeping It Simple”Monday
http://www.alderberryhill.com
Create and Inspire Link Party at Handmade Cuddles
Sweet Anne Designs
Boogieboard Cottage
Three Mango Seeds
The 36th Avenue

4 comments:

  1. I really like the piano bench :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This turned out beautifully! I've never tried to layer paint, but I would love to give it a shot! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 4 Blogs! http://rainonatinroof.com/2013/07/give-me-the-goods-monday-link-party-16/
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a gorgeous piano bench - love the design - the color you painted it is perfect! I am so delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete