Friday, July 26, 2013

Overwhelmed with zucchini?

It seems we wait and wait for the crops to come in, then we don't know what to do with it all.  I have seen many recipes for zucchini dishes, but I haven't run across one like this.
A few years back I was given this recipe from a local farmer.  I was sceptic at first, but after I tried it, I was amazed.  I know you have heard of apple crisp, but here I give you...

Zucchini Crisp

Ingredients:
4 Cups of flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Cups sugar
3 sticks of butter ( I use 2)
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
8 C zucchini peeled/quartered and sliced
2/3 C lemon juice (bottled or fresh is fine)
1 cup sugar

Preheat the oven to 375.  Combine the flour, salt, 1 1/2 Cups of sugar, and the butter until crumbly.
Reserve a 1/2 cup of this mix and set it aside.  
Put 1/2 of the remaining mix into a 9x13 pan.  Bake 5 minutes.  Mix the tablespoon of cinnamon into the other half of the mix.

While the first layer of crust is baking, prep your zucchini if you haven't already.  
Cook the zucchini and lemon juice in a pan until tender.  Add 1 cup of sugar and the 1/2 cup of the flour mix you saved.

Pour over the crust you baked.  
Sprinkle remaining mix on top.  Bake 30 minutes or until crust starts to brown slightly.

Enjoy!  
This is a great way to use up some zucchini and enjoy it like you never thought possible.  What is your favorite zucchini recipe?
Sharing with:


 photo grabbutton1_zps655117c3.pngA Peek Into My Paradiseshine_on_fridayShabbilicious Friday504 Mainhttp://raisingdickandjane.blogspot.com

http://www.becomingmartha.com
Photobucket Rooted In Thyme

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow...interesting idea to make it sweet! I'd love to try this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea! I like making zucchini pasta, myself, but zucchini bread is also one of my favorites.

    Natashalh

    ReplyDelete