Monday, July 15, 2013

How to restrap a chair seat

Hello all!  Today I am going to share with you part 1 of a 2 part post.  Today's post will cover how to fix a chair seat after all the straps have broken.  Tomorrow I will cover how to re upholster that same chair.  These posts are filled with lots of photos, so I had to split them up.  If you are new to upholstery, I hope to help you out.  If you have done it before, I hope maybe something I did will give you ideas on how to make it easier next time. (I can hope right?)

Here is the chair I am about to fix.  Upon first look you may think what's to fix, right?  Well take a good look at this photo:
Definitely needs some fixing!  The jute webbing was ripped and disintegrating.
After the chair was all stripped of its fabric, padding and thousands of tacks, here is what I have.
As you can see the metal straps were added to probably prolong the life of the chair after it started to sag.

I removed all the straps and webbing from the bottom of the chair.
After removing the worn burlap, I was happy to find the strings tied to the springs were still in tact and very secure.  That was one step I didn't have to do. Yippee!
I flipped the chair back over so I could support the springs from the bottom.  I decided to use the 3 metal straps to add extra support and because I didn't have an extra pair of hands to help me compact the springs to put the webbing on.  Usually, you do the bottom straps first then put the springs on top.  Once the springs are on top, then they get tied into place.  In this case, I did it backwards.
I added the straps first then compressed the bottom of the spring under the strap.


Here you can see that done on all except the bottom row.  Just wanted to show you the difference.
Now for the webbing.  Staple one strap into place on one side as shown here.
Fold over the edge and staple (or tac) it into place again.
Once you get the webbing across to the other side, use your web stretcher to pull it tightly while you tack or staple it into place.
Weave the webbing and finish all the straps to cover the bottom of the chair.
I then used some upholstery twine to tie the springs in place.  Again, this is usually done from the top of the chair, but it was too hard to get my hands inside to tie them with all the ties on the top.
I used some burlap I had on hand, it just happened to be blue.  I stapled it down all the way around, then folded it over and stapled again.

Now the chair is ready for the foam, batting and upholstery.  Until tomorrow!

Sharing with:
DIY blog Classy Clutter

Sweet Sharing Monday Link PartyMonday2 Make the Scene Monday # 83
BWS tips button
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Keeping It Simple
FFF
Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
Boogieboard Cottage
Three Mango Seeds

504 MainThe Shabby Nest

4 comments:

  1. This is so great to know! I always come across great chairs that need to be restrapped and pass them up because I don't know how! Not anymore! Pinning! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 4 Blogs! http://rainonatinroof.com/2013/07/give-me-the-goods-monday-17/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have perfect timing! I started ripping into a chair last night and didn't realize how bad it was underneath! You have saved my sanity with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so interesting! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, do you know where you can purchase the strings, materials and tools for webbing?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete