Wednesday, July 31, 2013

From bright to Hollywood glam

I was very excited to find this piece.  This fabulous claw foot, antique writing desk caught my eye.

 It is just gorgeous!  Yes, the red is fantastic, but the top needed repair.  The veneer was badly bubbled and peeling.  I knew it couldn't stay red, plus I might want to keep it and red is just not me.
I took the top off (it easily just screwed off at the back), peeled all the veneer off, filled in cracks with wood filler and sanded it all down.  Then filled and sanded again.
As I was painting it a pretty duck egg blue, I noticed 2 water marks appearing. When this happens, just put a coat of wax over the trouble areas then paint over it.
After painting it all, I reattached the top.  Here is where I decided to go glam.
I highlighted some of the details with gold.
2 coats of wax were used to give it some protection and a nice finish.
Now I am trying to decide if it goes in this little space.


I was featured:

Embracing Change


Sharing with:
Homemade by You Wednesday with Katieblog buttons-003
_
The DIY Dreamer
Family Home and Life

Link party every Wednesday over at the36thavenue.comEmbracing Change
Ivy and Elephants
Ashley's Dandelion Wishes
Thursday Favorite Things

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You took it from loud to classy! Great job! Dona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shape of this piece and I like your color selection. I too would have have to do away with the red ;) ~ The gold accents are an unexpected surprise. Interesting tip about putting wax on a water stain, I never heard that before ~ You did a great job! Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what a transformation. It really does have HOllywood Glam now. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete