Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Cement garden orbs

Do you remember the fountain I re purposed?  If not, you can visit that post here.  I still had some pieces leftover and was trying to come up with a way to make some cement orbs to add to these pedestal bases.  Over at Ellen's Creative Passage  she shows you how to do just that!  I went searching for the round glass light fixtures like she used and finally found some. 


One was bumpy (which I was really excited about) and 2 were smooth.  I picked up a 10 lb bag of cement.  FYI- that is enough to make 1 1/2 of these.  Go for the 20 lb bag if you want to make 3.

We  mixed the cement until it was pourable.

This is them after the cement was poured into the globes.  The hardest part came next.  I had to wait...it's a good thing I have plenty of other projects to keep me busy.
After 3 1/2 days of waiting I covered the box with a tarp, grabbed my gloves, safety glasses and a hammer.  With some light taps the glass broke away nicely.
Here is what the orb looks like sitting on a pedestal from that fountain.
Here is the half orb sitting on a large pedestal.  This one still needs something.  Maybe a mosaic.  I will have to wait and see what inspiration strikes me. 

Featured at:
Photobucket







Sharing with:



”Inspiring
Today's Creative Blog
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Crafty ConfessionsPhotobucket

7 comments:

  1. Looks great!! The bumpy one looks like the first one I made! Love it and thanks for mentioning me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I think I would cover the "plain" one with either broken glass or broken tile mosaic! Or, once cured try putting yogurt or buttermilk on it and see if you can get some moss to grow on it! You could stain it with concrete stain. Alternatively, you could just leave it be and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea. I need some small orbs to go with my croquet balls I wonder have I can adapt your project to make smaller ones? Let me know if you have any ideas.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea and would love to do something like that to put in my backyard. Love the look of a tile mosaic-will need to try it out! (Sharon)

    Thanks for sharing on the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT. And for the LINK back to BeBetsy. -xo Happy 4th of July!

    Sharon and Denise
    Fashion | Food | Beauty | Out & About | Morning Coffee

    Follow us:
    Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Bloglovin ~ Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to let you know that I loved this project! I’m Featuring YOU on VMG206 ~ Brag About It Tuesday's Linky Party from last week! We go live Monday at Midnight. So please stop by and grab a Feature Button and Link Up something new.
    I have also pinned your project to VMG206’s Brag About It Features Pinterest Board. I can't wait to see what you've been working on this week!
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had the post with the most!! Featured tonight on Kammy's Korner... :) This was a GREAT idea and I love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete