Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Antique rocking chair- a makeover

I was so interested in this antique rocking chair. It is on springs and rocks so slow and smooth.  I picked this up along with my china cabinet from a garage sale.  Upon doing some research, these rockers were made as early as 1890.  I have seen them in the original state anywhere from $45-$350  I sure wish I could narrow that range down.  If you know anything about these rocking chairs,  I would love to learn more.  Now, this chair is not in its original state.  Some one made a new back and seat and also painted it blue.


After doing some tightening I cleaned it and removed the cushions. 

  My vision for this one was black and white.  Is that a surprise?  What do you see when you look at this chair?
I used the same seat and back that was on it.  The seat is the same recovering method you would used to do a dining room chair.  The back, I sewed a pocket, like a pillow case and slipped the board and foam into it.  I finished it by closing it off with some staples.  Both cushions are screwed on just like they were when I found it.
Protected with Vermont Natural Coatings Wipe on Poly-whey.

Sharing with:
 photo TGIF_zps40a588c0.png
504 MainThe Shabby NestFFFPhotobucketshine_on_fridayShabbilicious Friday
 photo grabbutton1_zps655117c3.png
Rooted In Thyme
Photobucketbirdsonwire
Photobucket
Upcycled Antiques

2 comments:

  1. Hey! What a gorgeous rocker. You have done a great job! I saw your link over at Kammy's Corner and wanted to personally invite you to my very first linky party that I am hosting - Tute's Tuesdays at UpcycledAntiques.com. This is my first time hosting so advice would be greatly appreciated! I hope to see you at the party! ;) Again, I LOVE the colors you chose and the rocker looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very unique rocker! your makeover is fabulous!
    gail

    ReplyDelete