Thursday, May 16, 2013

Saved disaster table

Do you ever run into a project that does not even come close to your vision of what you want?  This one is it for me.   Behold an old, french, metal garden table that is sooo rusty.  A neighbor had it out on the curb with a Free sign on it.  Of course, I snatched it up.


 I wanted to try my hand at some rusty, chippy goodness.  Well,  it didn't turn out.  It looks more like an 80's splatter painting.  I first sanded it and removed all the chips and loose rust. 

Then came some spray paint in a rust color to mimic the aged effect, but also to prevent the table from rusting through.

I sponged on some white, which is where I think I went wrong.  So, I decided to add some chippy blue by:
slapping some paint on a block of wood and rubbing it across the table.  I did a little blue, then some more white.
I have tried this technique on some other items and have liked the results.  With the sponge painting underneath, I think it took away from the effect.
Do you see what I mean by 80's splatter painting? 

I decided to sand some of the spots off, but still was not happy. 

I decided to scrap the chippy idea and go for bright and cheery.  I primed over my recent paint job, then chose a cheery color called Lagoon.

Much better.  Now to find some chairs...

Sharing with:
Embracing Change

2 comments:

  1. Cute! Nice save - thanks for sharing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have those visions and at times it doesn't execute. If at first you don't succeed....I like the beautiful cheerful blue color. What an amazing table - a wonderful curbside find. I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete