Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Remake an outdated ottoman

I ran across this ottoman that had definitely seen better days.  I was really interested in the bun feet, but as I took a look at it, I realized I could fix it.  That means less going to the trash, which I like!
Someone must have been jumping on the ottoman...a lot!
I cut off the top cushion to get a look at the springs.  3 of the 4 had come undone.  I tried to snap them back into the metal brace that holds them, but they could pop back out easily.  I tried to re bend them, but that wasn't happening either.  What they needed was something to stop them from sliding out.
I drilled some screws behind the bracket, so it couldn't slip out of place.  This made the springs very sturdy.
Some fabric was stapled over the springs to help support the foam.
I chose some fabric, flipped the foam and the base onto the fabric and began stapling it underneath.  Here is where I got to a corner.

Pull the fabric away from the corner like this.
Cut off some of the excess fabric, leaving enough for you to work with.
Take on side and tuck it under the other side, securing it with staples.
Pull the remaining fabric tight while folding any excess fabric under and staple it in place.
Next I stitched up the corners to secure them and help them lay flat.  The stitch I am showing you here, helps to hid any thread.  You could sew a slip cover on a sewing machine, but sometimes this method works nicely for me.
Here is a corner all stitched up.
The bun feet were painted white and put back on to complete the transformation.
This fun, brightly colored print will add a nice pop of color to any nursery or living room.

Sharing with:
Photobucket
Crafty Confessions

5 comments:

  1. Great job! It is always so gratifying to save something from going to the trash. I try to do that all the time. Your ottoman turned out great.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am rеally glаd to glanсe at
    thіs wеbsite posts which сarгies lots οf useful fаcts,
    thanκѕ foг providing theѕe kinԁs of information.


    Alsο visіt mу web blog party pills Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make it look easy! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE how this turned out... and what a pretty fabric too. It is perfect:) I love updating and upcycling old ugly things, isn't it so satisfying!!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your weblog. You have some really great posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link
    back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Many thanks!


    Feel free to surf to my site :: Sidney Crosby Authentic Jersey

    ReplyDelete