Thursday, May 23, 2013

Great grandma's rocker

This rocking chair was my great grandmothers.  Since it is so special, it is a keeper.  As much as I wanted to keep it antique looking and in its original state, I couldn't do it.
It needed some spring repair a few years back.
Also, see that lighter circle on the arm?  There were holes that had to be filled to cover the screws that were showing.  I tried to stain it, but you can still see it.  With all these repairs, I guess I don't feel that guilty painting it. 
 After tearing off the fabric, I went with a diy chalk paint in black.
I laid the fabric over the chair and cut the Y slits at each of the 2 arm and the 2 back spindles. I then stapled the fabric to the rocker all the way around.

I hot glued the trim on to cover the staples.  Black trim blends nicely and doesn't take any attention for itself.
I did some light distressing with sand paper to add to the age appeal.  Instead of breaking out the stain, I opted for a furniture repair marker.  Easy, less messy and no stink.  Gotta love it!
Nice, but still classic.  I love how it turned out. 
A close up of some of the distressing.  I hope you all have a great Memorial Weekend!  I will see you back on Tuesday!

Featured at:



Sharing with:
Photobucket
Embracing Change
Beyond The Picket Fence

2 comments:

  1. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I'm quite certain I'll learn many new stuff right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

    Also visit my weblog :: www.tedxyse.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's
    a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.
    Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Excellent work!


    my web-site; Michael Kors Bags

    ReplyDelete