Friday, April 19, 2013

Primitive bench

Freecycle plus is awesome.  I recently was gifted this cute little bench.  It reminded me of a primitive bench and I had just in mind how I would make it over.
The cute little curves are irresistible.  The black paint, not so much.  It is not my color.


I stripped it with Citristrip.  Come to find out there were 3 layers of paint on it.  Under the black was a red and under that was a blue.  I didn't stress about getting all of the colors off,  I was going to distress it anyway and some color underneath would add to it's appeal. 

After sanding it and cleaning it, I added some Glacage to accentuate the curves.  I just pipe it on like I am decorating a cake.

2 coats of white diy chalk paint did the trick.  Since I was going to distress it I didn't need every spot perfectly white.  See the jugs in the right of the photo?   Those are my winter sowing jugs.  I am happy to say that plants are starting to sprout!
Anyway, back to the bench...

I distressed it.  I originally had in mind to make it very chippy...but after sanding, and sanding,  and sanding some more, I decided it was good enough.

This was a big makeover.  It was time consuming due to all of the stripping, sanding, adding detail, painting, distressing...oh my. I protected it with a coat of Vermont Natural Coatings wipe on polywhey.
I have to say, I love the result.  Hard work pays off; so the saying goes.


I was featured:

Photobucket
Sharing with:
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Rooted In Thyme
Designed Decor

2 comments:

  1. Looks adorable! I love the way you redid it and gave it a new life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow, what a transformation! Found you through My Repurposed Life's Catch as Catch Can 118...

    Cher @ Designs by Studio C
    http://designsbystudioc.com

    ReplyDelete